SPONSORS

Friday 3 October 2014

Ponmile Adebayo Launches Her Debut Album Today

Up and coming gospel musician, Ponmile Funso Adebayo believes that in the nearest future, her music will impact on the lives of people positively. Ponmile, a make-up artiste, says her music talks about the love and faithfulness of God upon her life. She says she is set to launch her debut album, entitled: Wonders, at Samak Halls & Events Plot 12, Ikosi Road, opposite Daystar Christian Centre, Oregun Ikeja Lagos.
In a chat with The Entertainer, Ponmile speaks on her views about gospel music in Nigeria, how she combines her music with her make-up business among others.

 Aboyomi

Biography 

My name is Ponmile Funso Adebayo and I am the leader of gospel group called, The 12 Wonders Band, a gospel music band. As a child, I have always been in the choir with Celestial Church of Christ, Odo Ona Apata. I composed my first song when I was five years. When I was seven years, I performed my song at an in-house party on  Christmas day. I later joined Faith Agbala Itura branch and later became a soloist and a backup singer  for about three years.

I am a graduate of Fine and Applied Arts from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State and when I was still in school, I was a member of a band as the lead vocalist. Presently, I am the Choir Director for the Yoruba Church at Daystar Christian Centre, Ikeja, Lagos State.

How would you describe your music?

I will describe my kind of music as Naija Hip-hop fused with gospel songs. Although, we also sing various genre of music such as AfroJuju, Reggae etc.

Gospel music in Nigeria

Well, gospel music in Nigeria needs to still improve because we need to look at it how we can profit from the gift of God in terms of soul winning. I believe as a servant of God, you are sent to a particular people and as gospel artistes, you need to know whom you are sent to minister to through your songs. Gospel musicians need to do good music so that they don’t just become local artistes alone but artistes of international reputation.

My debut album

It is a nine-track album with three bonus tracks entitled Wonder. Wonder is all about praising God who answers by fire. I composed it years ago when I had a challenge and I prayed to God and He answered my prayers. The way and manner that He did it was a wonder to me and that is why, I titled my album, Wonder.

Other tracks in the album include Nigeria and it is a song everyone should have on their phones and listen to. This year has been challenging in the country such as the insecurity and the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) but in all we still give thanks to God for seeing us through these challenges. Another track is Spiritual Something, because it is a song about the spirit of David. If you are familiar with the story of David, he did so many things but God still called him a man after his own heart because he knew how to get God in a place of unrepentant worship and praise. Dancing your heart out, dancing is a spiritual something .so worship of God in the place of dance is a big thing. We also have ‘your praise’ which is a song that reminisces on the love of God. His arms are always wide to open wide to accept you as long as you are ready to come to him.

What are the messages in your song? 

Basically it’s the love and faithfulness of God for me as a person, for Nigeria as a country and for anyone who buys the album.

Who are your target audience?

The Youths.

Don’t you think you are deviating from the normal music style of gospel music?

No. Your message is what makes your music gospel and gospel is good news. I don’t sing secular music and I wont.

How do you combine being a Gospel artiste and make-up artist?

I see my self as a businesswoman. By God’s grace, I also work with the Deputy Governor of Lagos in the area of empowering women and youths in Lagos. As Christians, our calling involves impacting on the lives of people.

After your album launch what’s the next thing?

Well I have not discussed with the band but I hope to have concerts and tours in United Kingdom next year with the remaining five songs we have kept aside.

How do you intend to break free with all other gospel artiste around?

I am not in competition with anybody. I believe when God gives you a vision, He also gives you the provision, location and the right people to help you do what you can do best.

In the next five years where do you intend to see yourself?

I see myself as an International Gospel Artiste winning souls for Christ and impacting the lives of Nigerian youths both here and in the Diaspora. I would want the youths to say, I bless God for the life of this lady for what she has helped me through her music. So in the next five years, I want to see myself as an international and national figure in the Nigerian music industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comment Here. Don't Fail to be a Contributor and not just a Spectator. Your Contribution will go a long way

Mobile Ad

LET'S HEAR YOUR VIEW

Share on

share